Friday, March 20, 2015

What to Write About and Who to Write For

 
Blogs should add value to readers' lives.  Think back to your high school English classes.  Do you want your blog to be entertaining, informative, or persuasive?  Maybe all three? Some blogs are inspirational. Some focus on how-to's and life hacks. Some teach a specific skill, like cooking. 
What do you want your blog to do? And for whom?

Before you ever write your first blog post, take a few minutes to answer these questions:

1. What are you passionate about? What are you going to write about?

Ideally, they will be one and the same.

2. Who is your target audience?

Some people suggest you pretend your audience is just one person.  Who is that person? What do they care about? What impression do you want to give them?

3. What do you have to offer your readers? (Entertainment? Expert knowledge?)

Sometimes, entertainment and inspiration is enough!  Sometimes, readers want a friend - someone who is like them and shares their struggles.  Others want more concrete information about a certain topic.

4. How do you want readers to feel when they visit your blog?

Inspired? Comforted? Excited to try something new?

5. What makes your blog stand out from the bazillion others out there?

What's unique about your perspective? 
 
After you've answered these questions, it's not a bad idea to put the answers on your "About" page.
 
Here’s an example for a fictional blog:
1. What are you passionate about? What are you going to write about? 
Exercise, motherhood, eating healthy. 
2. Who is your target audience?
Busy moms who want to get in shape. 
3. What do you have to offer your readers? (Entertainment? Expert knowledge?) 
I am a former personal trainer with 4 kids under the age of 3. (This is fictional, thank goodness.)  I will entertain my readers with stories about my crazy life and offer exercise tips and challenges. 
4. How do you want readers to feel when they visit your blog? 
I want reader to feel inspired and motivated towards realistic fitness goals.  I want them to feel like we are friends.  I want readers to get to know me personally. 

5. What makes your blog stand out from the bazillion others out there? 
I focus on realistic fitness goals and exercises you can do with your kiddos.

Now, a blurb for the “About” page on this fictional blog.
I have 4 kids under the age of 3, and I know it’s hard to stay in shape when you’re a busy mom.  But my former life as a personal trainer has given me a leg up.  I’m here to help other moms find the time and energy to get in shape while balancing the demands of motherhood!  Stick around for healthy recipes, realistic fitness challenges, and more!

Use this handy worksheet to answer the questions. (Free for email subscribers.)

1 comment:

  1. Yes! This is what it all boils down to, finding your niche. :-) I still struggle with this, and it's been almost 10 years!

    ReplyDelete